I’ve been working on various site updates: ssl/https everywhere, new theme that works better on mobile devices, and improving old posts with galleries and simpler categories.
There’s a new trailer out! A few shots I’ve worked on, also tons of less visible work like setting up look development testbeds, exposure standards, blueprints, helping other artists. There’s been a ton of great people working on this getting a huge amount done in very little time, I can’t wait for the game to be finished.
I wrote a very simple Blender to Unreal exporter because I couldn’t find one that exported scenes to FBX and T3D at the same time. The purpose is to export only unique data to FBX, instead of all object data, this way duplicates (with linked data in blender) are preserved and objects can be pasted in to Unreal after placement was done in Blender. Now I can export a whole scene at once and still benefit from the efficiency of linked data, without needing to reconstruct object placement manually in Unreal.
It’s no Datasmith, but this is all I need for testing and it works with Blender.
Select objects to export, run script. (FBX names are based on mesh data names)
Copy (T3D) text from console output to clipboard (Placed instance/object names will be the same in Unreal and Blender)
Import FBX files
paste (T3D) clipboard
Convert to exporter addon
Options for file output destination, and content path in Unreal
Optionally skip either FBX or T3D output
Send T3D to clipboard or text file instead of console
Optional scale conversion
Instanced Static Mesh Component for Array modifier instances.
Recently I decided to pick up Blender. I’d like to be able to work on projects at home, and I’ve always been a fan of Open Source projects. I decided to start with a modelling project that I could take to film quality, and hopefully a game ready version later.
Blender has some good modelling tools. I really love being able to use edge bevel weights with the bevel modifier, much like QuadChamfer in 3dsMax.
Artoo has a lot of good reference and blueprints available as well as a good variety of shapes, so I figured it would be a fun project to start wtih. Modelling is complete, but I’m still finalizing UVs before I get started with shaders.
I was responsible for lighting on the following sections. Combination of baked lightmaps and dynamic lights, dynamic lights tend to look better when possible. Included parallax cubemap and irradiance volumes. All areas include volumes for overrides of exposure, grading, and level transitions. I lit several cinematics but nothing in particular shown here.